Saturday, January 24, 2015
Of Shakespeare and Law School

Literature was one of the compulsory subject that I needed to take in my second year. I assumed that studying literature was pretty cool, especially when you have to learn more about poetry and some other fun stuffs.

On the first day of lecture, I entered the classroom with a huge grin on my face, totally excited for the class to begin. I knew from the very beginning that I will love this class, since I always have that ‘thing’ on writing. Lol.

Moments later, the lecturer came in and started to explain the outline of the course, also what we need to do throughout the whole semester. According to her, we will be learning Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice in depth. Shakespeare was not that bad, benda tu berpusing berkali-kali dalam fikiran aku. I mean, come on, siapa je tak kenal Shakespeare and his well-known Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth etc. etc. kan?


Introducing; The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare.
You may check the movie on Youtube if you're interested. Hahaha.

The following week, we were required to read Act 1 of the novel. Feeling thrilled and eager to know what the story was all about, I began to read.

“…If they should speak, would almost damn those ears
Which, hearing them, would call their brothers fools.
I’ll tell thee more of this another time.
But fish not with this melancholy bait
For this fool gudgeon, this opinion.
Come, good Lorenzo. Fare ye well awhile.”

Wait. Kejap. Hold on. What on earth did I just read? What was that? I gasped for air. It’s okay Fatin, go slow, I said to myself. Lepas dah tarik nafas dalam dalam, I started to read the same lines for the second time… for the third time… for the fourth time and… then... I gave up. I can't understand a thing, not even a line of Shakespeare’s words! Aku terfikir masa tu, how am I going to survive this class? 

“Oh yes, I forgot to inform you that you will have to act as your final semester project. You are required to re-do some scenes of this play, record it and send the video to us. Marks will be given based on these criteria…” the lecturer said.

My friends and I exchanged looks. From our face expression, I knew we have the same exact questions on our mind.

First of all, what does Shakespeare has to do with law? Second of all, are we truly in a law school ke sekolah lakonan?

For a moment, I was confused. And I bet, my classmates were confused too. 

Labels:


0 CLICK(S)

Older Post | Newer Post
Fatin Hanani Adnan


I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22.
Contact Me
Email
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram